Friday, January 2, 2009

Empoprise-NTN High Noon - where?

Before I continue, let me wish a Happy New Year to the Empoprise-NTN readership.

I've published an on-and-off Friday afternoon series called "Empoprise-NTN High Noon" for some time now, which features various NTN Buzztime locations in the United States and Canada. After I had covered most, if not all, of the sites that I had visited personally, or wanted to visit, I began looking at NTN Buzztime sites in other areas.

For example, back on Friday, November 14, 2008, I blogged about two NTN Buzztime sites within walking distance of the White House. I figured that I'd help Barack Obama find some places to play after he moves into his new home.

Well, it's time to return to Washington again. You see, Obama has had to quit his old job so that he can take the new job, and all sorts of issues have resulted because of that. For various reasons, I have declared (under my Ontario Emperor pseudonym) my candidacy for Obama's U.S. Senate seat.

Which raises the obvious question - where are the closest NTN Buzztime locations to Capitol Hill?

Guess what? The two closest locations are the same two that are closest to the White House - Fast Eddies and the Hyatt Grand Slam. Those are the only two NTN Buzztime locations within the Washington city limits.

But perhaps this is a good thing, and will help to achieve a one-ness in the nation's Capitol that has not existed for almost two centuries - in fact, since the Andrew Jackson administration. Because I've lived not only in Illinois, but also in the Washington DC area, I'm privy to this little tidbit about executive-legislative relations:

The Main Treasury Building is the headquarters for the Office of the Secretary of the Treasury and the Departmental Offices. Its location is immediately east of the White House on the corner of Fifteenth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW. The Main Treasury Building itself has an interesting history. In the early days of Washington, the White House and the Capitol faced each other at opposite ends of Pennsylvania Avenue. However, President Andrew Jackson's relations with the Congress were very bad. Many people believe that he ordered the Main Treasury Building placed in its present location so it would block his view of the Capitol. Despite whether this story is true, it adds to the historic tradition of the Main Treasury Building.

They say that many marriages end in fights over money, so I guess it's fitting that the Treasury Building got in the way between President Jackson and Congress.

But if - I mean when - I secure a seat in the U.S. Senate, perhaps NTN Buzztime trivia can bridge the executive-legislative gap. Imagine how the wheels of Washington would turn more smoothly if President Barack Obama and the successor to his Senate seat could bond over a game of trivia and some Jack Daniel´s Sesame Chicken Fingers (see the Appetizers menu).

But if he's President, does that mean that I have to let him win?

blog comments powered by Disqus