Sunday, May 11, 2008

Double Decker's Pub and Diner, Ottawa, Ontario (R.I.P.)

I think that the first time that I wrote about NTN Buzztime in a blog was back on February 11, 2004, when I wrote the post Addictions Available in Upland in Two Days in the old Ontario Empoblog.

At the time I was not a Players Plus member, but I was planning on joining Players Plus shortly (I would join before the end of the month, becoming a member at the then-new Tequila Hoppers in Upland, California, a membership that I have maintained to this day.)

In my February 11 post, I alluded to the first place where I ever played NTN trivia:

Although I've played in Minnesota and South Carolina, I usually get my fix at Double Decker's Pub and Diner in Ottawa, Canada.

I used to go to Ottawa on business trips a lot, and Double Decker's was within walking distance of the hotel where I stayed in Ottawa. It was right in the middle of the Byward Market area, and you'd climb up to the second floor, enjoy pub food, and play a trivia game. Whenever I visited, there was always a group of regulars there that were very good at the trivia.

Because of some business changes, I haven't been to Ottawa in years, but should I ever return, I was looking forward to going to Double Decker's and playing.

Sadly, it appears this is not to be. The title of this TripAdvisor page says it all:

Double-Decker's Pub (Reported Closed)

Unbeknownst to me, it appears that the pub closed right about the time that I was writing about it. And this is one case in which the Irish defeated the British:

The newest edition to the Irish Village Pub Group - the Aulde Dubliner opened its doors in May of 2004 - transition of the building from old to new was a welcome sight to one of the Market's busiest corners.

And, according to the NTN Buzztime Site Finder, there is no longer any NTN Buzztime location in the Byward Market area. The two closest ones are the New Edinburgh Pub off of Vanier Parkway, and the Carleton Tavern (apparently a new site) to the southwest, both well outside of walking distance.

One more thing about Double Decker's - I may have liked it for the trivia, but others liked for the wings. Here are some selected comments from a May 2004 post about sushi:

Where is there a good wings place in Ottawa? Rosie O'Grady's was amazing in first year. They had wings for under 10c/wing at one point. I guess that was too cheap though, cuz they went out of business later on. Now i'm screwed, cuz i don't know of another place where you can get (non-breaded) wings for cheap. Where, tell me, where?

» Posted by: Scott at May 13, 2004 09:48 AM


Hmm....I don't know if the special is still on, but maybe, just maybe, the Duke of Somerset might have a special on Mondays. It's been a looong time, you could give them a call first. They also had the 10c/wing deal.

» Posted by: sometimes bored in ottawa at May 13, 2004 10:24 AM
Scott : Double-Decker's in the market used to have incredible wings (and cheap too!), but apparently they've closed down now. :(

(I'm also looking for a good wing-place...)

» Posted by: peter at May 13, 2004 01:03 PM


I guess the Irish don't serve wings. Makes sense, since the Englishmen beat them down for years...

blog comments powered by Disqus